We just found out that today is National Dog Day! As you may know, helping animals in need is one of PhysEmp’s pet causes (pun intended). If you didn’t know, feel free to read about our work with Iowa-based animal shelter Noah’s Ark Animal Foundation and our annual Give a Dog a Bone Run/Walk fundraiser.
According to the team at the National Dog Day site, here are the top 3 ways to celebrate National Dog Day:
- Adopt a dog from your local shelter or pure breed rescue organization. Volunteer at your local shelter and offer to walk a dog, play with a dog, clean cages, or anything else they need help with.
- Have a safety check of your home to make sure it’s safe for your dog and others.
- Donate blankets, food, and toys to animal welfare organizations.
For the full list of 20 ways to celebrate, click here. Of course, getting out and enjoying the sun with your pooch is a perfectly acceptable way to celebrate too.
Aside from being great walking buddies, dogs are making serious strides in the field of medicine. For instance, did you know:
- Dogs may be able to help doctors sniff out cancer. Read Reuters article.
- Dogs can help to alleviate anxiety and depression in humans. And yes, they definitely help people get their exercise too. See the research.
- Dogs are employed to comfort people who have to testify in stressful court cases. Read the story.
And with that, happy National Dog Day!