We are currently seeking multiple Site Medical Directors to serve our client facilities throughout the state - including Santa Fe!
Enjoy the work life balance that correctional medicine has to offer!
- Set weekly schedule – enjoy your weekends free from work!
- Generous Paid Time Off
- No Billing or Managed Care Hassles!
- Paid CME Time!
- Great Health Insurance and other Benefits!
- Matching 401K
Provides the clinical direction needed to meet the service delivery requirements of specific Centurion contract. Supervises and evaluates medical services for inmates. Provides clinical supervision for medical staff. Chairs or participates in various committees to include Continuous Quality Improvement, Infection Control and Pharmacy and Therapeutics. Interfaces with agency clinical and administrative leadership on issues related to medical services. Functions as a consultant for the mental health staff and medical staff. Provides direct clinical services as needed.
- Applies ethical and legal principles to the treatment of inmates with medical problems in a correctional setting, ensuring that inmates receive appropriate health care
- Upholds all HIPAA, OSHA and PREA requirements and ensure compliance with all Federal and State laws, regulations and guidelines
- Fully complies with all security regulations and directives of the assigned facility
- Ensures compliance with all facility and Centurion protocol, procedures and guidelines
- Upholds all rules and regulations governing medical confidentiality
- Promotes the development and maintenance of effective and cooperative relations between and among all clinical departments and between clinical and correctional staff
- Provides clinical direction and leadership to medical staff
- Ensures inmate medical care is appropriate, accurate and received in a timely manner and in compliance with NCCHC and other relevant standards of care
- Establishes and promotes a multidisciplinary health team approach that collaborates in the monitoring of inmates requiring on-going medical services and the development of individualized medical treatment plans
- Participates in the development, implementation and monitoring of medical policies and procedures and protocols
- Establishes and ensures the operational availability of system that provides 24 hour a day on-call access to medical consultation
- Works collaboratively with Centurion management to perform strategic planning, to further the goals of the medical program, to support security interests and to achieve/maintain accreditation by ACA, NCCHC and/or The Joint Commission
- Develops and approves protocols used by nurse practitioners and nurses
- Actively involved in the Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee
- Participates in Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI) and Infection Control committee meetings as they relate to medical issues
- Participates in CQI studies and activities as clinically indicated and as required by the contract
- Proactive in performance improvement activities as requested and modifies clinical practices based on CQI recommendations
- Conducts Mortality Reviews for all inmate deaths involving medical issues
- Oversees Peer Review process for doctors and nurse practitioners at least annually
- Recruits and assists in hiring of medical staff
- Assists in oversight of in-service training on medically related topics
- Develops and oversees academic and post-graduate training programs for residents, fellows and other medical professionals
- Participates in the monthly conference calls for Medical Directors with Centurion Clinical Operations department
Monitors records in all aspects of medical practices in the system. These include but are not limited to:
- Monitors for timeliness and accuracy of medical records
- Monitors timeliness and accuracy of inmate care practices
- Monitors medication utilization
- Modifies and implements treatment guidelines as needed
- Provides training for medical staff in the use of formulary vs. non-formulary use as needed
- Monitors amount and appropriateness of non-formulary medication used
- Counsels doctors/nurse practitioners identified as outliers with regards to prescribing practices
- Leads monthly conference calls with the medical staff
- Conducts annual performance evaluation for each prescriber (more frequently if needed)
- Ensures that necessary schedules of assignment are provided and maintained by those responsible for medical care and that the schedules of assignment provide for the continuous care of each inmate
- Ensures that adequate supervision for nurse practitioners and/or physician assistants is provided by qualified medical staff, as required by state and agency standards
- Provides consultation to mental health and medical staff both formally and informally
Direct Care Responsibilities:
- Evaluates inmates on medications and conducts medication reviews
- Performs routine medical evaluations on inmates under established guidelines
- Provides medical treatment as required in conjunction with multidisciplinary team
- Orders/prescribes medications for medical needs while adhering to the established formulary
- Reviews and signs off on the labs orders written by he/she when providing direct care services and ensures that appropriate follow-up has been taken
- Legibly documents all inmate encounters in the medical record using the format delineated in the contract (Problem Oriented Medical Record (POMR) or SOAP format) while adhering to Centurion policies and procedures governing documentation. This includes, but is not limited to, all entries being dated, timed and having the author’s legible signature or name stamp
- Utilizes the master problem list to document inmate medical conditions
- Accepts on-call (beeper) responsibilities as scheduled
- Prepares required reports and completes required paperwork in the expected time frame
- Maintains a current copy of his/her license, as well as current CPR certification on file with Centurion
- Provides renewal copies of license and DEA certification to Centurion, prior to expiration
- Notifies Program Manager of any incident by an inmate involving high-risk, accident and/or life threatening event that may have the possibility to create a medical liability, immediately upon notification
- Follows designated chain of command for resolution of problems and questions
- Uses Universal Precautions at all times
- Attends seminars, workshops, conferences, etc. as permitted by Centurion
- Attends staff meetings, as well as other meetings as required
- All Centurion employees are classified as “essential employees.” All employees are expected to report to work when other state agencies are closed for emergencies
- Other duties as assigned
To learn more please contact Camille Audet at 866-754-5055 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
this is NOT an opportunity for Search Firm recruiters.